Total Pageviews

Sunday 5 February 2012

PLAYING A MUSICAL INSTRUMENT - You are never too old!



Playing a musical instrument for me is one of the most rewarding pastimes I know, whether you are playing: piano, guitar, drums, trumpet, violin or triangle, to make music is awesome. From playing at Wembley Stadium to sitting in your bedroom amounts to the same thing, music in my view covers all requirements. I have to admit that I learnt to play at a young age, reading music went hand in hand with learning the trumpet so I would say it is easier to start young. Adults lead busy lives and finding time to play 3 chords or a scale every day for 10 minutes can often be difficult. However all musicians would confess that you never stop learning, there is always someone who knows a bit more than you or something new.




As adults we can find ourselves learning alone which can have motivation issues.together with "I have no time" adds up to a non-starting scenario, we have all been there!. It is not all doom and gloom for us adults who want to learn, there are Tutors and courses to engage, if money is an issue then ask around, friends are a good source, or use Twitter or Facebook to get your message out that you want to learn. Another source for tuition which is a massive help, and free is YouTube, hundreds of tuition vids for you to learn from, don't you just love today's technology?
The most important element to this is to persevere, it is hard work to start with I will admit but once you have got over the initial making a sound and have a routine then you should be hooked. The other way to keep the interest is to join a music group. My early brass playing days were immersed in the local brass band, I felt a part of a team, interacted with seasoned players and fresh starters, today I am still part of the same band, I have made great friends and learnt so much about music and myself.



I was 18 when I started to teach myself guitar, 32 years on and I am still playing, learning everyday and meeting new people. My new project The 142's Band involves playing Guitar with 2 great guys, another new era has started and my music journey continues - awesome

If you are thinking about it now then please think about this: if you are having a bitch of a day and you can take yourself away from it by immersing yourself in music by playing an instrument then it must be worth giving it more than a thought.

Cheers
Keeny







No comments:

Post a Comment